Wednesday, May 15, 2019

What Readers Want to Know…





Hi,

Today I’m answering a few fun questions about myself, my books, and writing in general.

Readers want to know…

How would you describe yourself using only five words?
Busy romance and horror author.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?
Of course! I lounge around on the couch in front of the TV when I should be writing, or cleaning, or doing something else. I usually devote my Friday nights to being lazy.

How do you get yourself in the mood to write?
I block out a chunk of time and review my outline. Then I envision the scene I want to write and just do it. My first draft is nowhere near perfect—at that stage, all I want to do is write the scene so it’s out of my head and on the paper. When I go back and revise, I add dialogue tags, sensory details, and fix up the word choices to make the scene come alive.

If someone hasn’t read any of your work, what book(s) would you recommend that they start with and why?
That depends on what genre they like to read. My romances include almost all genres, and the heat levels vary from mildly sensual to scorching-hot.

Historical romance lovers would enjoy Dangerous Indenture. It’s a full-length novel set in Pennsylvania Colony and blends a sensual romance with mystery and suspense. Or, if they like something with more adventure, they could read Loving a Wild Stranger. Redemption from a Dark Past is perfect for Gothic romance lovers.

Readers of historical/fantasy romance would like either the Royal Desires series (A Most Unusual Princess, A Most Intriguing Temptation, and A Most Unfortunate Prince) or the Naughty Nobles trilogy (Midsummer Night’s Delights, Midwinter Night’s Delights, and Ultimate Night’s Delights).

Contemporary romance readers can fall in love with Vinnie, the hero from A Deceptive Match, or Curtis, the sexy country singer from Trust with Hearts. Paranormal lovers would like Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover or Beauty & the Bigfoot.

And readers of gay romance have a choice between A Secret Match, Four Days with Jack, or Killer in Wolf’s Clothing. I like to say I have romances for everyone!

Most people envision an author’s life as being really glamorous. What’s your take on this?
That’s a fantasy. People want to believe that writers sit around contemplating what to write all day, crank out a perfect book in a week, then sit back and collect outrageously huge checks. That’s fiction! Many non-writers don’t understand that creating a book out of thin air is a time-consuming (and sometimes frustrating) process that takes a lot of hard work and dedication.

I’ve had people ask me how come I don’t have a million dollars or why haven’t my books been on the New York Times Best-seller List yet. The reality is that some authors can and do quit their day jobs to write, while others put in 40 hours a week doing something else and then carve out time from the rest of the day to write. It’s not always glamorous, but creating characters and writing about them is fun, and that’s why I do it.

Do you ever feel forced to write?
Yes. Sometimes when I haven’t been writing for a while and I’m slacking off, a little voice pops into my head and says, “You’d better sit down and start writing something, now!” This usually happens after I’ve taken a week or so off after a new release to recharge.

Have you ever written about your own bad habits/personality flaws? 
I haven’t yet – at least not consciously! But Elara in A Most Unusual Princess can be pushy, stubborn, opinionated, and doesn’t always listen. (Some people might see a bit of me in her…) I do give my characters some of my better traits: a wacky sense of humor (Beauty & the Bigfoot), inner strength and determination (Dangerous Indenture) and belief in a good cause (Trust with Hearts). I like to include character traits or incorporate aspects of real people into my stories, so I always tell friends and family (and others), “be nice to me, or I might put you in a story.”

If you could invite any famous person, dead or alive, for lunch, who would it be and what would you eat?
I’d have lunch with Stephen King (his schedule permitting, of course). Most people probably don’t know that in addition to my romances, I also write horror fiction. I read Stephen King’s short stories at a very young age, and his writing style and distinct voice have always stuck with me. I think his book On Writing is a must-read for anyone who writes or wants to write. And lunch? We’d go someplace low-key and casual (like a retro diner that has its fair share of unique characters) and be so busy talking about all sorts of stuff (writing, the horror genre, Dwight Yoakam, and Lucas Davenport!) that we’d forget to eat!

Tell us about your latest release(s).
In March, I released Dangerous Indenture. This full-length novel is set in Pennsylvania Colony and blends a sensual romance with mystery and suspense. Earlier this year I published the second half of my flash fiction series, Cupid’s Schemes. These two volumes of lighthearted mini-romances are perfect reads for a quick lunchtime escape or an after-work indulgence. Readers can learn more about them on my website.

What’s next on the horizon for you?
Currently, I’m re-editing my historical romances previously published with Medallion Press. After that, I have ideas for a few other romances (a paranormal, and a gay contemporary). Of course, in between all this, I’m also working on a few new horror stories.

Where can readers get in touch with you or find you on the web?
I just launched a brand new website - www.KelliWilkins.com - same url, totally new look! It’s the best place to read about all of my books and find me on social media. There’s also a contact form where readers can get in touch with me and ask me questions or leave feedback. I invite everyone to stop by for a visit. I enjoy learning which books, characters, and scenes readers love best. 

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts today.

Happy Reading!

Kelli 




No comments:

Post a Comment