Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Kelli’s Quill Newsletter - November 2018 Issue




Hi everyone!

In this issue of the Quill, I’m announcing the release my new romance anthology, Cupid’s Schemes, revisiting my online writing course, sharing news plus a few blog links, and a fast Q&A session.


NEW ROMANCE RELEASE

Cupid’s Schemes - A Collection of Sweet Romances

In these 16 flash fiction vignettes, Cupid’s arrow hits the mark and ignites a spark between two strangers—whether or not they’re looking for romance. Their unusual meetings lead to new beginnings and new chances at love.

Sweet stories of couples falling under Cupid’s spell include:
* a Medieval knight courting a pretty lady
* two neighbors discover that romance can happen when you least expect it
* a dehydrated mermaid rescued by a handsome stranger
These lighthearted mini-romances are perfect reads for a quick lunchtime escape or an after-work indulgence.

Order your copy here:



BREAKING NEWS

My Gothic historical romance, REDEMPTION FROM A DARK PAST, just got a 4 ½ star review from Night Owl Romance. Read the review here: https://www.nightowlreviews.com/v5/Reviews/Nikkitrueblue-reviews-Redemption-From-A-Dark-Past-by-Kelli-A-Wilkins


Looking for something to read this weekend? Check out my newly updated Books2Read page. It features my romances (in all genres), my horror fiction & more!



November is National Novel Writing Month!


If one of your goals is to finally write that short story or novel, then don’t miss out on FICTION WRITING FOR BEGINNERS. This online course is designed for anyone who is interested in writing and needs practical advice on how to get started, PLUS motivation and encouragement to keep writing.

Thirteen easy-to-follow classes cover the writing process from start to finish. You’ll learn where writers get ideas, how to create characters, get expert tips on writing your story, and find out how to submit it for publication. Everything you need to know to start writing is wrapped up in this comprehensive and fun course.

Each class is self-contained and self-directed. This way, you can learn about a specific topic at your own pace, and not worry about completing the class by a certain deadline. Short writing exercises at the end of each class highlight the subject matter and get you writing.

If you’ve always wanted to write, Fiction Writing for Beginners will get you started. Visit the course page to learn more and enroll: https://kelliwilkins.teachable.com/

Remember, November is NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month!


KELLI’S BEEN GUEST BLOGGING

Here’s a pre-Thanksgiving treat - my simple side dish recipe for wild rice & broccoli. https://theafterworkcook.blogspot.com/2018/11/guest-cook-kelli-wilkins.html

Looking for a yummy autumn treat? Get my recipe for pumpkin bread here:

Read about my latest horror novella, Nightmare in the North. Post includes an excerpt!


SHARING FUN PHOTOS

In September, I became a photo contributor on istock and Shutterstock. I’m uploading images in all categories: Halloween, nature, travel, and more! Visit my profile pages to view my pictures.

Don’t forget, I’m also on Instagram! I shared lots Halloween photos throughout the month of October. https://www.instagram.com/kelliwilkins2/


4 FAQ

Q: You’ve written several horror stories and 19 romances. Between horror and romance, does writing one come more naturally than the other? What inspires you to pick up the pen to write a horror story?

A: I originally started out writing horror short stories, and then I alternated with romance. I think I have a good balance of writing in both genres. (One half of my brain does horror the other half does romance.) I generally get inspired for horror the same way I do for romance – an idea pops into my head, the story clicks, and off I go.

I was able to combine both worlds in my paranormal romance, Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover. It’s a romance, but it also has a gothic-horror feel. So does my historical, Redemption from a Dark Past. Although it’s not a paranormal, it takes place in a secluded Carpathian Mountain castle.

Sometimes after working on several romances I’ll switch and write a horror story. It allows me to change up my writing style, use different settings, and create characters you wouldn’t find in romance. My horror short stories are more psychological/spooky/creepy than gory, and I like to explore the darker aspects of a story and not always give the characters a happy ending (as I do in my romances).

Q: Share with us one thing about yourself that we wouldn’t think to ask.

A: Even though I write horror stories, nobody ever asks me about the paranormal. One thing you probably wouldn’t think to ask: “Do you believe in ghosts and the supernatural?” The answer is definitely yes.

Q: What types of books do you read? Romance? Horror? 

A: I have a very eclectic bookshelf. There are all sorts of new age, self-help, horror, romance, mystery, and non-fiction books on my selves. (It’s like a mini-library.) Basically, if a book looks interesting and the subject appeals to me, I’ll give it a try. Right now I’m reading the Preston & Child “Pendergast” series of books. They’re suspense/mystery with excellent plots and great characters. 
 I’m always reading! When I finish my writing for the day, I like to lose myself in a book that I haven’t written. It’s nice to read something where I don’t know what’s going to happen next.

Q: What are you working on right now? What can your readers expect from you in the near future?

A: I’m working on a non-fiction romance guide, Cupid’s Schemes Volume 2, a collection of sci-fi stories, and outlining new romances. 2019 will be a busy year for me. Stay tuned for new release news and updates on my blog and social media pages.

I hope you enjoyed this issue of the Quill. Please share it with your social media friends. I welcome questions and comments from readers and authors, so feel free to drop me a line via my site, blog, or social media. 

Happy Reading,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment