Wednesday, October 9, 2013

When Love Meets Monsters - Paranormal Romance!




Hi Everyone,

To celebrate the start of my favorite month, I’m writing about what happens when horror meets romance - paranormal romance!

Although I create hot and spicy romances for AQP, I actually started out writing horror stories. For some, that might seem like an odd combination, but it works for me. One half of my brain writes the horror, and the other half writes the romance.

Since I grew up reading horror fiction and watching horror movies, it only seemed natural. (After all, Halloween is my favorite holiday!) I like writing horror fiction because I get to explore different settings, plots, and characters that I couldn’t develop in romance. Sometimes after working on several romances, I’ll switch moods and write a horror story to give my brain and writing muscles a change of pace.

My horror short stories are more psychological/spooky/creepy than gory, and it’s fun to add something scary (or strange!) into a romance. Sometimes it’s hard to keep a paranormal romance within bounds – to blend just enough horror elements into the love story without grossing out the heroine/hero…. 

Other times the challenge is creating a believable plot or finding a way to make a “monster” attractive/romantic/sexy. In some cases, the only way to get around the wacky idea of someone being in love with a “monster” is to use humor. Beauty & the Bigfoot is a perfect example of that! 

Beauty & the Bigfoot sprung from a “what if” idea. What if a girl fell in love with a Sasquatch? And, what if her father was the town crackpot Bigfoot hunter? I wrote the story as a contemporary comedy (how could it not be?) and had great fun creating the oddball characters and their crazy situations. And yes, there’s plenty of romance between Tara and her sexy Sasquatch. Writing the love scenes was challenging – I had to keep things interesting, yet write them in a way that was believable to the readers and characters. (It must have worked because the book got several great reviews and readers love the chemistry between the two lovebirds!)

Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover started out with the premise – “What if a vampire went to the beach and fell in love with a surfer?”  The book is extra “unique” in that it’s told in first person from the male character’s point of view. I made Cassie (the vampire) sympathetic and sexy, and not overtly terrifying – yet she still flexed her vampire muscles when she wanted to.  

Killer in Wolf’s Clothing (released last July) is my most recent paranormal and it’s also my second gay romance. But it’s not your usual werewolf love story - readers should know that Deke, the werewolf character, doesn’t actually turn into a “wolfman” – he becomes an aggressive Alpha male. As I say in the book, “It’s more 'Incredible Hulk' than American Werewolf in London.

Although Killer in Wolf’s Clothing is my third paranormal romance, I almost had a problem writing the story because I’m “old-school” when it comes to creatures of the night and I expect my werewolves to be violent and vicious (like my vampires) not cuddly. In my opinion, if a person is going to turn into a werewolf/wolf-man, he should look like the werewolves in the movie Dog Soldiers. (A horror movie I highly recommend!)

But Deke is a badass and the antagonist, Blayne, is just about as violent and vicious as you can get (without fangs and claws). I hope readers enjoy the story and the characters. This book was a lot of fun to write and although it’s dark in places, Larry lightens the mood with his offbeat sense of humor.

Here are quick excerpts from the books. (All 3 are also available at B&N and Amazon.)

As soon as we got to my place, Cassie had me close all the blinds and run a hot shower. She stripped in the middle of the living room and casually tossed her clothes on the couch.

I stood gaping at her like I’d never seen a naked woman before. “You’re beautiful,” I whispered. And I meant it. Her pale skin was flawless, and the sight of her perky breasts made my mouth water.

Cassie stepped in front of me and ran her fingertips down my bare chest. Her touch sent a shiver through me, but for some reason, it aroused me.

I moaned and closed my eyes. Cassie slid her cold hand lower, past my ribs, down to the waistband of my bathing suit—then stopped and pulled away. I opened my eyes and caught a glimpse of her as she headed into the steamy bathroom. For a second, it looked like she was vanishing into vapor. I shook my head to clear it, then followed her in…


Excerpt from Beauty & the Bigfoot:

Her father left her there, cradled in Bigfoot’s—Joe’s—arms.

“So, what do you like to do for fun? I figure you’re an outdoorsy kinda of guy, huh?”

Joe blinked at her a few times, and she smiled. “You know, Joe, if you weren’t so hairy, you’d be cute. Some women like the hairy caveman-type of guy. Me, not so much. But you sure are strong and muscular.”

“Cheep, cheep, cheep.” Joe’s top lip peeled back into something that looked like a sneer.

“Did you say something? Oh wow! That’s rich! Wait till my father hears this. You say your first words and he misses them! I’ve heard the screeching vocalizations you guys make before, but never—”

Joe pressed her face against his chest, muffling her words. The chains rattled as he smoothed her loose hair with his left hand. She closed her eyes and inhaled Joe’s musky, yet sweet, scent. A moment later, the shed felt like it was spinning and fading. Her breathing slowed, and her nipples hardened under her T-shirt. A warm tingle spread through her, then she went limp in Joe’s arms.

He’s turning me on. What the hell is happening here?

Larry stared at the carpet while Deke talked to Lobo and Lono. Except for the fact that one had honey-blond hair, he couldn’t tell the twins apart. They were built like professional wrestlers and stood well over six and a half feet tall. They each had brown eyes and wore sleeveless black spandex T-shirts. Their biceps were bigger than his thighs.

Lono kept eyeing him up, and it made him nervous. He hoped his price of admission wasn’t bending over for them. If they were as well hung and as horny as Deke, it would be like getting balled by an elephant.

“He sent you? I always liked Slave Steve,” Lobo said as he tucked Daisy’s note into his pants.

“He yours?” Lono asked Deke.

Deke nodded. “He gives good head.”

“Prove it,” Lono said, folding his arms across his chest.

Deke turned to him. “On your knees.”

Larry looked from Deke to Lono and back to Deke. Who was he supposed to blow? All of them? Lono or Lobo? Or Deke?

“Your master gave you an order,” Lobo said.

Deke unfastened his jeans and pulled them past his hips. He didn’t bother with underwear. “Here you go. Start sucking, slave.”


Next week, I’ll be back with an inside look at Killer inWolf’s Clothing!

Happy Haunting!

Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment