Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Hot summer romance - Confessions of a Vampire's Lover





Greetings Everyone!

Today I’m sharing an inside look at one of my paranormal romances, Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover.  (As most everyone knows by now, I write spicy romances and spooky horror fiction. For some, that might seem an odd combination, but it works for me. I like to say that “one half of my brain writes the horror, and the half writes the romance.”)
So far, I’ve written three paranormal romances for Amber Quill Press (Killer in Wolf’s Clothing, Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover, and Beauty & the Bigfoot).

Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover offers a different view of a vampire romance. For starters, the novella is told in the first person from the hero’s point of view. The story also makes use of an unusual setting – the beach. Yes, it’s a summer beach-themed vampire love story! (And you don’t see those every day.)

So, how did this story come about? My original idea for the story was: “What if a vampire went to the beach and fell in love?”

I’m married to a surfer and one of our trips to the beach got my imagination going. I liked the idea of contrasting typical sun-worshipping beachgoers and surfers with a darkness-loving elusive vampire. (Besides, what could be more mismatched than a die-hard surfer falling in love with a nocturnal blood-drinker?)

Although the story is about a vampire, I wanted to keep the central focus on Brian and Cassie’s relationship and not on the ‘bloodier’ aspects of vampirism. I think there’s a fine line when blending horror and romance into paranormal romance. Too much gore or a “too terrifying” creature can snap the readers (and the characters) out of the romance and into a full-on horror story.

I love combining my two favorite genres into one great story. (You can check out all of my romances and horror stories on my site – www.KelliWilkins.com.) Some people think it’s strange, but writing horror lets me explore characters, settings, and plots you don’t normally find in romance. And every so often, it’s good to mix the two a little and see what happens.

Here’s a book summary and a steamy excerpt from Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover.

The moment Brian spotted Cassie sitting on the moonlit beach, he was hooked. Beautiful, smart, and sexy, Cassie is the girl of his dreams. She didn’t mind that he spent the hot summer days riding the ocean waves, because once the sun set, he belonged to her–all night long!

Everything is perfect between them–until Brian discovers Cassie’s shocking secret. Can Brian give up the sun, sand, and surf to be with the woman he loves?

Read Brian’s first-hand account of their unusual love story in… Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover!


The excerpt:
She draped her arms around my neck and pulled me close, as if she were hungry for my touch. Her wet lips met mine, and a shock coursed through my entire body. Cassie’s lips were soft and supple, but ice cold. It was the strangest kiss I’d ever experienced, and it stirred something primal in me.
I let out a throaty groan as a hot rush of blood surged to my cock. I stiffened in an instant and clasped Cassie’s buttocks hard. A burning desire to have her overtook me, and I fought the urge to push her down on the sand and shove myself into her—anything to release my raging need.
Cassie kissed me deeper and twisted her tongue around mine. The world seemed to spin, and once again I felt myself falling under her spell. I was hers, willing to do whatever she wanted. After a moment, she released me.
Wait for me on the beach. I’ll let you take me any way you want,” she whispered, then dove back into the water.
I made my way to shore as quietly as possible and flopped onto the sand. My heart raced out of control and my stiff cock ached with every heartbeat.
I closed my eyes and tried to think rationally. What was Cassie doing out there? Nobody could see in the ocean at night or safely swim with sharks after dark. Maybe Cassie was a mermaid. I chuckled at my own stupidity. Mermaids weren’t cold, they couldn’t vanish into thin air, and they didn’t hide from the sun. That was a vamp—
“Look what I found.”
I opened my eyes. Cassie stood over me, holding something shiny in her hand. The gold ring gleamed in the moonlight. I took it from her and studied it. The stone was dark, almost blood red. I handed it back to her and she slipped it on her ring finger.
“You really should let me explore for awhile. There are a lot of interesting things down there,” she said.
I scowled. “How did you find that in the water? It’s pitch black.”
            “Don’t ask, Brian.” Cassie straddled my hips and kissed me. She bent close, offering me her breast. I drew it into my mouth and sucked eagerly. To my surprise, she felt flushed and warm, and tasted salty, like the ocean.
            Cassie gasped and arched her head back. “Make love to me, Brian. I want to feel alive,” she said as she unzipped my jeans….
***

Here’s what reviewers had to say:

“In Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover, Kelli A Wilkins writes a story filled with seeming incongruities. It is only one of a dozen reasons her stories are so intriguing and exciting. She manages to put such a variety of characters together, and melding them so perfectly you never notice the things that shouldn’t be possible. Her stories premises always seem to include the unusual, and that is evident in her very unique ways of telling her tales, whether they are fantasy, contemporary, or paranormal. Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover makes for interesting reading, and a story too good to put down.” - Rose, reviewer, romanceatheart.com


“My first thought after finishing Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover was “what a fun story.” Kelli A. Wilkins has spun a fast, entertaining, deliciously wicked tale that was wonderfully satisfying. What makes Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover somewhat unusual is that the story is written in the first person, entirely from the hero’s point of view. It’s fascinating and sensual with two immensely likeable protagonists. I am fast becoming a fan of Ms. Wilkins’s stories and look forward to reading more of her work in the future.” - Shayna, Reviewer, Joyfully Reviewed


“3 Coffee Cups! Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover is a hot read. Cassie is a person who goes after what she wants. I loved the way she could often read Brian’s thoughts and end his sentences before he spoke. Kelli A. Wilkins pens a delightful story I could read again and still fall in love with Cassie and Brian all over again.” - Cherokee, Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

“4 Stars! Wow! Confessions of a Vampire's Lover is one scorching read. Confessions of a Vampire's Lover is one quick read and I have put Kelli A. Wilkins on my must read list.” - Cheryl, Reviewer, Manic Readers

There are plenty of beach-going days left in the summer, and I hope you’ll make this book one of your hot summer reads!

Don’t miss my upcoming August blogs: Social Media 4 Social Change, a look back at A Midsummer Night's Delights and A Midwinter Night's Delights and all the details on my upcoming AQP super-hot historical Ultimate Night's Delights.

See you in August!
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment