Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kelli's Quill Newsletter - Big Spring Issue






KELLI’S QUILL

The Official Newsletter of Author Kelli A. Wilkins

Spring 2013 Issue (Vol. 6 Number 2)


Hi everyone, happy spring! Flowers are blooming and the days are getting warmer…time to go outside and dig in the garden. Soon, I’ll be sitting in the yard writing (or revising) another book.

Before we get started, I’d like to thank everyone who joined my blog, signed up for my newsletter at the Liberty States Fiction Writers Conference, and became a follower on Twitter. I appreciate the support!

As always, feel free to forward this newsletter to your writing groups, social network groups, and friends. I look forward to chatting with readers and other writers! Email me or drop me a line on my blog with questions, comments, or anything else that comes to mind.

In this issue I’m sharing news about my latest horror story, giving a sneak peek at upcoming projects, linking to interviews, and more!

KELLI’S QUILL IS NOW SEASONAL:
Starting with this issue, Kelli’s Quill is going seasonal. Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall issues will be sent to subscribers, posted on the blog and Goodreads, and linked to Facebook and Twitter. Of course, special issues will be sent out to announce a new release, a great new interview, or something extra spectacular.

NEW REVIEW FOR THE VIKING’S WITCH:
Raven at Reviewing Vixens gave The Viking’s Witch 4 out of 5 kisses. Here’s what they had to say: “A great read that will have you guessing right to the end of the book. I was literally tied into knots wondering what would happen next, if they would actually make it as a couple or if all they'd done would be for nothing. Two very interesting characters, very opposite and yet the perfect match for one another. Read this book.” Read the full review here http://reviewingvixens.webs.com/apps/blog/show/25980658-the-viking-s-witch-by-kelli-a-wilkins

KELLI IS A MISTRESS OF THE MACABRE!
Kelli’s horror story "Sometimes Monsters Are Real" was published in the Dark Moon Books anthology, Mistresses of the Macabre. More than 500 people submitted horror stories - but only 18 were chosen - and Kelli is thrilled to be part of this collection of great stories written by women. To quote the editor of the anthology, “Kelli A. Wilkins is the author of “Sometimes Monsters are Real,” a story about a deal with the devil that didn’t turn out as expected. Not to mention, it is the only story to make the editor cry.” Order a copy here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0988556952/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0988556952&linkCode=as2&tag=shadara-20

READ KELLI’S INTERVIEW WITH DARK MOON BOOKS:
Kelli was interviewed about her horror writing and her story, “Sometimes Monsters Are Real” that appears in Mistresses of the Macabre. Read the full interview here: http://www.lastwritesdmd.com/killer-kelli-a-wilkins/

A ZIPPER RIPPER:
Killer in Wolf’s Clothing, Kelli’s gay paranormal romance, was recently a featured spotlight book on the Zipper Ripper blog. Read it here: http://zipperrippers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/book-spotlight-killer-in-wolfs-clothing.html

KELLI’S ON THE WEB:
After many trials and tribulations, Kelli’s website has been completely revamped. Same url www.KelliWilkins.com but a totally different look. Kelli did the site herself (with a little bit of help). It’s cleaner, better designed, and much easier to navigate. Each book page includes summaries, links, and reviews. Check out the News page for links to new projects, interviews, and more.

Kelli on Kindle!: Did you know that all of Kelli’s romances are available in electronic format? Visit her Amazon author page: http://www.amazon.com/Kelli-A.-Wilkins/e/B001JSAB24/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1 to see all of her writings!

WHAT’S IN THE WORKS?
Kelli is working on a third (and final) book that follows up where A Midwinter Night’s Delights left off. In this story, the Marquis is being destroyed by a nasty scandal and relies on Julian to help him out. The book also gives the backstory to Lono and Lobo, two characters introduced in Midwinter. If you missed A Midwinter Night’s Delights or the book that started it all, A Midsummer Night’s Delights, you can order them here: http://amberquill.com/AmberHeat/MidsummerNightsDelights.html


Q&A WITH KELLI


The following is an excerpt from Kelli’s 2010 interview on BlogTalk radio. Listen to last summer’s interview here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/coachdeb/2012/08/09/multi-published-romance-author-kelli-wilkins

Q:  You write in several genres, including romance and horror. Some would say that’s an odd mix. Does writing one genre come more naturally than the other? How do you find a balance between the different genres? Do you have a preference between the two?

A: I originally started out writing horror short stories, and then I alternated with romance. (I also wrote the occasional sci fi story, too.) I like to say that “one half of my brain writes horror, and the other half writes romance.”

I’m able to switch genres easily, so I think I have a good balance of writing in both the horror and romance worlds. Sometimes I can blend the two into paranormal romances. My first paranormal romance, Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover is a good mix of the two genres, and it has a very gothic feel. My second paranormal romance, Beauty & the Bigfoot takes an unusual look at the legend of Bigfoot and adds humor into the story. When I write paranormal romances, I do have to be careful that I don’t cross the line and make the story too dark or too creepy.

I feel fortunate in that I can switch back and forth between horror and romance. I tend to write short horror stories, and let the romances be longer. Sometimes after working on several romances, I’ll switch and write a horror story. It allows me to change up my writing style, use different settings, and create characters you wouldn’t find in romance.

My horror short stories are more psychological/spooky/creepy than gory, and I like to explore the darker aspects of a story and not always give the characters a happy ending, as I do in my romances. “The Man in Apartment 3-A” is a good example of how I take something ordinary (a nosy neighbor) and give it an unusual twist.

Q: What advice would you give to an aspiring author?

A: The best advice I can give to any writer (regardless if he or she is writing horror, romance, erotica, or mystery) is the same – keep writing. Writing is a tough and solitary business. Everyone gets rejected and discouraged when stories aren’t working out, but that’s part of the process.

It takes a lot of dedication and determination to sit down every day and write something. You have to push through the times when you don’t want to write or revise a story; you have to pick yourself up and keep going when you get a rejection; you have to make time to write daily; and you have to put in the hard work to create the best plot, characters, and stories that you can. But the more you write, the easier it gets.

Writing classes are a great way to learn the basics and meet other writers. If possible, join a writer’s group or a critique group to get feedback on your stories. When you’ve written the best story you can, submit it! You can’t get published if you never submit, and you never know when your first acceptance will arrive. It’s rewarding to see something you’ve written get published and land in the hands of readers. And writing isn’t about getting rich or famous – it’s about writing your stories and sharing them with the world. 

FOR WRITERS:
This issue, I’m sharing two of my top writing tips! Although they may sound basic, they’re important to keep in mind. They’ll help you stay on track and can spark new story ideas.

Divide by Three: As a writer, you should always be doing one of three things: writing new material, revising/editing what you’ve written, and submitting. Divide your writing time into thirds and get to work. Some days I work on new stories, then I’ll submit for a day or two, then revise an existing story. But I’m always working on my writing. Don’t wait around to hear about a story or a query before you start the next project – get to work.

If you’re already published, you’ll also have to make room for a fourth element: promotion. Getting your name out there on blogs and websites, participating on guest author days, doing interviews, and contacting review sites is like a job itself. So make time to promote all the great things you’ve written.


“Someday” I’ll Use That: Keep a folder for ‘someday’ story ideas, characters, settings, and anything else that comes to your attention. File all those notes, scraps of plots, bits of dialog, and photos of scenic views that you’ve accumulated into one place. If you’re ever stuck on what to write next, you can always open the folder and see what’s in there to inspire you. However, if you open the folder and discover some of the ideas don’t “work” and have no appeal any more, let them go. If I come across a catalog with interesting clothing, jewelry, furniture, etc., I think I can use in a story, I tear out the page and file it away. I’ve actually gone back and used some of the pictures to add details to my stories.


I hope you enjoyed this spring issue of the Quill. Feel free to repost it, Tweet, and share with friends. I welcome questions, comments, and feedback from readers and writers. Drop me a line on Facebook, Twitter, my blog, or site. All the links are here: www.KelliWilkins.com

See you in the summer!

Happy Reading,

Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment