Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Kelli's Quill Newsletter - Exciting Nov./Dec. Issue





KELLI’S QUILL

The Official Newsletter of Author Kelli A. Wilkins

November/December Issue (Vol. 5 Number 6)


Hi everyone! The weather’s turning colder here and we’re getting ready for winter. As we say goodbye to 2012, I’m sharing some excellent book reviews, news, an interview excerpt, writing tips, and more!


FOR READERS:


Lots of reviews to share! Up first, a few of the great reviews for Kelli’s Medallion Press historical romance, The Viking’s Witch:


“5 stars! I enjoyed this book from the Viking era! A must read! Kelli’s writing is flawless and beautiful, her world building is amazing, and you can literally “see” this world as it was back in that era. This book was full of excitement, and twist and turns that I did not see coming. Overall I loved this book, and highly recommend it.” - Michelle Lynn, ConciseReviews


“5 stars! Loved it! The Viking's Witch is a great read penned with strong characters. I was totally engrossed within the tale and cannot wait for her next book. A must read for all who love the paranormal, historical fantasy genre.” Susan P., My Cozie Corner Book Reviews

“5 stars! This was a really, really, really good book! Really enjoyed reading it, just sped right through it. Odaria and Rothgar were, from an outsider's perspective, really funny together, they kept riling each other up, accidentally, of course, but that caused some really major arguments, which really spiced the novel up. The Viking's Witch was a really good book; a fantastic read with wonderful characters, so you really should check it out! Read it!!!” - Louisa P., Words I Write Crazy

“4 Coffee Cups! Author Kelli Wilkins created a fascinating world view of the forgotten Pictish culture. The evolution of Odaria’s and Rothgar’s relationship provides humorous episodes as two powerful people vie for position in their relationship. Nordskog, a Viking berserker who owed a debt to Odaria, was an intriguing secondary character, who needs his own story. Overall, The Viking’s Witch was an enjoyable read for a lover of historical romance.” - Rita, Coffeetime Romance

 “4 stars! I have never read a Viking era book before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I found the world building and character behaviors very believable. I was curious to see how Kelli would develop a romance within this era. Let me say she did a fabulous job. It was a page-turner that had me cheering on the main characters. The world she describes is believable and so easy to visualize.” – Vickieann, TRB: Reviews

“4 stars! I think the author played it well, creating a chance circumstance that could build on the power of Odaria and Rothgar and the love that seems to bring them together. I enjoyed the book; it flowed really smoothly. I liked that they struggled for their love, it wasn’t one of those love at first sight ordeals. Lust on the other hand... I do suggest approaching this book with caution because there is plenty of steam ready to fog up your glasses when turning the pages of this book.” - PrincessPixistixx, WonderlandReviews

Here’s the plot summary:

The Viking’s Witch

Scotland, 803 A.D.

About to be burned at the stake by her fellow villagers, Odaria does what any betrayed witch facing certain death would do. She calls down a curse. Within seconds, rampaging Norsemen raid the village, capturing everyone except her.

But her reprieve is short-lived, and Odaria lands in the clutches of the Norse leader Rothgar. Can she remain true to herself and fight her growing attraction to this domineering man, or will she fall under his influence and be used for his ambitions?

After Rothgar witnesses Odaria’s powers firsthand, he strikes a bargain with her. The raven-haired beauty will use her magical abilities to help him with his quest in exchange for safe passage off the isle. But can this cunning woman be trusted, or is she using him to exact vengeance on her village?


Together they must fight bloodthirsty villagers, battle a mutinous band of Norsemen, find a missing Norse ship, and learn to trust each other . . . before time is up.


You can visit Kelli’s Medallion Press author page here: http://medallionmediagroup.com/author/kelli-wilkins/


And here are some kind words about Killer in Wolf’s Clothing:

“4 Stars! Killer in Wolf's Clothing offers a different and very creative take on werewolves. I loved the whole concept. Two very different people sharing a body that changes too. Hot, sexy and a little kinky, this one tells a very engaging story. There's a good bit of violence but it fits the plot. Larry and Greg are great as a couple but Larry and Deke really smolder. The transformation of Greg into Deke is detailed and the whole idea just pulls you in. Add a crazy serial killer and a werewolf sex club to the mix and you a wild ride. Great fun!”  - Emma, Night Owl Reviews

“4 Stars! Killer in Wolf's Clothing is a quick fun read that will hook you from the beginning. A bit different than I'm used to regarding werewolves, but I totally enjoyed the book. Recommended for all who like the horror genre with a twist of fun.” Susan, Sweet-n-Sassi.blogspot

“3 Stars! Killer in Wolf’s Clothing entertains; it made me laugh at times, made me raise my eyebrows several times, and made me snort out loud more than once. I can’t ask for more than that from a story.” Jennifer, Romance Novel News

"Kelli A. Wilkins gives us an amazing new take on wolf legends with Killer in Wolf's Clothing. She has penned a tale that will heat your blood and increase your heart rate as you become immersed in both the hot scenes of loving and the terror of the crazy murderer.  Killer in Wolf’s Clothing shows that you never know who your neighbor is." Sensual Reads Review

 “I liked it and it was definitely fun to read. Your reception to this story will depend on how seriously you take it. It is written with a bit of a laugh at itself, not to be taken too seriously. I could see that from the start, which is why I ultimately liked the story and was able to get into it right away. Larry is a bit of a slut, but that’s okay and all in keeping with the tone of the story. He’s simply begging for it, and also won’t be turned away from following Deke on his mission. [Killer in Wolf’s Clothing] is funny and sexy and playful. I liked it and it was definitely fun to read.” The Armchair Reader


Here’s the plot summary:

Killer in Wolf’s Clothing

A super aggressive Alpha male, a serial killer, and a visit to a kinky sex club…What has Larry gotten himself into?

When Larry learns that his boyfriend Greg changes into another man during the full moon, he has a hard time accepting it—until he meets Deke, Greg’s alternate Alpha personality.

Deke doesn’t play nice and has no time for games. He only wants two things—to get laid and to get revenge against the arsonist who murdered his friends. Finally free from Greg’s restraints, Deke is ready for action, and Larry is more than willing to submit to Deke’s needs.

Together, Larry and Deke set out to find the killer. Their hunt takes them to an all-night Alpha sex club where things heat up for the two of them. But when Larry unwittingly falls into the clutches of the murderer, it’s up to Deke—and Greg—to save him before it’s too late.


Horror on the Horizon:
Several of Kelli’s horror stories have been selected for publication. Look for her stories in these publications.

“The Con” – Big Bad Anthology

“Sometimes Monsters are Real” – Mistresses of the Macabre anthology

“Twist of Fate” – Dark Moon Digest e-magazine

“Diamonds” – Sherlock Holmes magazine

Stay tuned to her blog & the newsletter for upcoming release dates & links.

Q & A with KELLI: Here’s an excerpt from Kelli’s interview with Romance at Heart.


After you've written your book and it's been published, do you ever buy it and/or read it?
I try not to read anything I’ve written after it’s been published. Whenever I do, I tend to find things that I’d like to change after the fact. Plus, by the time the book is out, I’m usually focusing on the next book and am too busy writing to read.

Among your own books, have you a favorite book? Favorite hero or heroine?
I really fell in love with Elara and Dalton from A Most Unusual Princess. I liked them so much that I created a trilogy around them. A Most Unusual Princess led to A Most Intriguing Temptation. That book introduced readers to Prince Allan, and he got his own book, A Most Unfortunate Prince. Once I finished all of their stories I was able to let them go “live their lives” and focus on different characters.

I like all of my books and I fall in love with all the characters as I’m writing – otherwise, I couldn’t do it!  I think the book I’m writing at the moment (whenever that moment is) is my favorite, because I’m putting all my energy into it.


Do you feel humor is important in women's fiction and why?
Yes. I try to make my stories fun or lighthearted in some scenes, dramatic in others, and steamy when the romance heats up. I think giving the characters variety helps – not everyone is always clever or always serious.

Some of my books feature characters that have odd or strange senses of humor or are just plain witty. (Prince Allan’s character in Intriguing Temptation was so adorable and clever that I gave him a book of his own, Unfortunate Prince. Allan is able to cope with bad situations and maintains his smartass sense of humor even though the book is not a comedy. A Most Unusual Princess also has a lot of humor in it.

However, Beauty & the Bigfoot was the first book that I set out to intentionally make funny. It’s one thing to sprinkle in some humor here and there, but to start out trying to be funny can be a bit daunting.

Where do you see yourself in five years?
In five years I hope to have published at least ten more books and dozens of short stories. I’d like to branch out into full-length horror/mystery/suspense novels. I have a great idea for a series!


FOR WRITERS: 3 Quick Writing Tips

Let’s face it, everyone can use a little editing now and then. The best way to present a clean, easy-to-read manuscript to an editor is to do a thorough job editing it yourself before you submit. This month, I’m sharing 3 quick writing tips any writer can benefit from. (I know, because I learned these along the way as I wrote my own books!) I’ll be sharing more next month.

Lights, Camera, Action!: Start your story with an interesting hook to capture the reader’s attention. Begin either 5 minutes before, during, or 5 minutes after “the big moment” that grabs the reader. Keep the action going in the first few paragraphs or sentences. Don’t waste the first page describing the weather or how a character got dressed in the morning. You can add supporting details into the back-story later. Use a bit of narrative or dialog that jumps into the story:


There was no time to swerve. He hit the bicyclist dead on.
Jane stared down at Patrick’s lifeless body. Killing him had been easier than she planned.

“I’m telling you, this house is haunted. I keep hearing strange noises.”

Make your readers excited, repulsed, curious, amused (or any other emotion you choose), but keep them interested.


Avoid Bad Words: Make a list of words you find yourself repeating (or over-using) in your writing. After you’ve finished the story, do a search for each word and either delete it (if it’s not needed) or change it to a different word.


Some of my “bad words” are: glanced, looked, laughed, that, even, just, once, would, could, felt, shook his head, somehow, started to, although, even though, suddenly, a minute later, a few minutes later, after a few minutes…

She knew that he liked limes. = She knew he liked limes.

I can’t even believe you just said that. = I can’t believe you said that.


It’s also a good idea to search for similarly-spelled words and make sure you’re not accidentally using the wrong word. Some to look out for include: gaps/gasp, stifled/stifled, gong/going, from/form, though/thought/through.  

Reading Aloud is Fundamental: Before you send out your story, novel, query, or anything, make sure you read it aloud. When you read something aloud you’ll hear words/narrative/dialog that don’t “work” or are awkward. If you find yourself stumbling over a sentence or phrase, it might need to be edited. Go slow and read every word. You won’t finish reading your novel aloud in a day, but the results are worth the time you invest in the process.

**

I hope you enjoyed this issue of Kelli’s Quill. Be sure to visit my blog (http://kelliwilkinsauthor.blogspot.com/) for more news and writing tips. And don’t forget, my Amazon Author page http://www.amazon.com/Kelli-A.-Wilkins/

is loaded with books for anyone on your holiday shopping list!

Feel free to forward (and post) this newsletter to writing or romance groups, friends, other writers, and anyone who likes to read!


Questions and comments from readers and writers are always welcome. And if there’s a writing topic you’d like to see addressed on the blog or in my newsletter, contact me via the News page of my site (www.KelliWilkins.com).


Happy Reading

Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment