Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Two More Spooky Stories for the Halloween Season!






Hi everyone! 

Hope you’re enjoying the autumn weather!

Today I’m sharing an inside look at two more of my horror stories, “Kropsy’s Curse” (an individual flash fiction read available from Fictionwise), and “Just an Innocent Little Cat” (which appears in the Dark Things II: Cat Crimes anthology).

As almost everyone knows, Halloween is my favorite holiday, and before I started writing erotic romances, I wrote lots of horror stories. When I was growing up, I always wanted one of my horror stories to get published in an anthology so people could read it. Well, I'm happy to say that my horror fiction has appeared in several print and online anthologies.

And even though I’m writing romances, my horror stories have a special place in my heart! Don’t worry, I haven’t stopped writing horror - new stories will be out in the next few months. Until then, here's a little bit of backstory about each of these tales of terror:


My Halloween-themed short, Kropsy'sCurse was published in the October 2003 issue of The Far Sector SFFH and is available in electronic format from Fictionwise. (Isn’t that a great cover?!) I actually had the ending to this little gem in my head before I knew the rest of the story. In this tale, I combine the best of Halloween/horror themes into a quick and spooky read. Remember folks, if you go exploring a graveyard on Halloween, leave the ouija board home!

Here’s an Excerpt from Kropsy's Curse

Kyle’s sneakers slipped on the dewy grass as he followed Jerry down the last hill in the cemetery. The moon appeared as a slit in the night sky. Dark clouds occasionally floated out of its way, and a sliver of pale yellow mixed with the blue-black night.

A field of headstones stretched before them. The white marble markers, old and worn, were sunk into the ground and leaning in different directions. Kyle knew they had to be in this section, the neglected part of the cemetery, for tonight's purpose.
***
 Just an InnocentLittle Cat” was published in Dark Things II: Cat Crimes:Tales of Feline Mayhem and Murder. The character of Chester is based on a real-life orange cat with an attitude. Cats are loyal and devoted creatures – and they’re damn smart, too. This “tail” is a good example of what could happen if you don’t stay on a cat’s good side. All proceeds from sales of this anthology go to several cat sanctuaries across the USA.

An Excerpt from Just an Innocent Little Cat


Chester sat on the bathroom floor with his tail wrapped around his body. He arched his neck and lifted his nose high in the air. Eggs and bacon. Betty was making food downstairs. That left him alone with Danny.

He leapt onto the side of the blue bathtub and sat on the rim, just outside the shower curtain. The hot water was running inside the tub, and he twitched his nose at the harsh-scented detergents filling the room. He studied the shadow of the fat man as he moved around behind the thin curtain.

Last night, he’d decided that Danny had to go. Before Danny came, Betty used to have her lady friends over to visit. They played something called “Scrabble.” Sometimes, the little brown pieces of tile landed on the floor and he swatted them under the couch. It was a fun game. But now, the nice ladies didn’t visit anymore. Danny wouldn’t allow them to come here. This made Betty sad.

After a few minutes, Danny turned off the water and opened the shower curtain. He yelped and stepped back.

“Damn thing! Get the hell out of here!”

Chester riveted his gaze on Danny, then hissed.

“Ma, hey, ma!” Danny screamed and covered himself with his hands. “Get this cat outta here!”

***

I hope you’ll check out the stories! They really were a lot of fun to write. Check out the new horror pages I made on the blog. Next week, I’ll offer up two more tales….

Until next time, Happy Haunting!
Kelli


No comments:

Post a Comment