Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Have you ever read a Bigfoot romance? Beauty & the Bigfoot – a paranormal/comedy



Hi folks!
 
Today I’m sharing a look back at my Amber Quill Press paranormal, Beauty & the Bigfoot, (Yes, it’s a Bigfoot romance!) This offbeat novella offers readers a quirky look at the legend of Bigfoot. When I told people I was writing a Bigfoot romance, they said, “You’re kidding, right?”
 
Nope! As anyone who knows me will attest, I’ve always been interested in the paranormal or supernatural realms. (In fact, an recent episode of Ancient Aliens talked about the possible origins of Bigfoot.)
 
Maybe I watched too much In Search Of… as a child or “unexplained phenomena” appealed to my imagination, but for as long as I can remember, I’ve always been interested in the strange and unusual.
 
I started out writing horror short stories and it was only a matter of time before I went down the paranormal romance road. Beauty & the Bigfoot is my second paranormal romance. My first, Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover, is a more serious love story.
 
Beauty & the Bigfoot was a lot of fun to write and I had a great time creating the characters. Through Tara and her eccentric father, Charlie, I was able to turn up the camp level and add in many wacky references and asides.
 
The book started out with the premise: “What if a girl fell in love with a captured Bigfoot?” I liked the idea, but I wasn’t sure where I could take it. Later, when I was doing research for the book, (Yes, there was research involved!), I came across several historical accounts (dating back to the 1500s) of huge, hairy “wild men” living in the woods. Native American tribes have several names for Bigfoot and they took the subject seriously. After reading these stories, my imagination took over from there. (Once you read the book, you’ll see how it all ties in together.)
 
So, is Bigfoot real? Is the Patterson film a hoax? Are there Sasquatches roaming the forests of the Pacific Northwest? I don’t know for sure, but I do know that the legend continues on – with a happy ending – in Beauty & the Bigfoot.
 
Here’s a summary:

Can true love exist between the species?

Tara’s world is anything but normal. Her father is known as the resident crackpot – just because he’s on a personal mission to catch a Sasquatch. Despite all of the “Bigfoot evidence” cluttering their house, Tara never really believed in Bigfoot – until the day her father brought him home.

She affectionately names her father’s prized catch ‘Joe’ and discovers there’s something oddly familiar – and erotic – about him. With a media circus descending on her father’s ranch and a showdown brewing with the local sheriff, Tara risks her life to save Joe.  When Tara finally succumbs to her animalistic urges, she learns that Joe is not exactly who – or what – he seems. Joe is more than a Sasquatch – he’s her soul mate!

I’m pleased to say reviewers loved the story!:

4 Coffeecups! "I thought this story was going to take a weird and strange turn when I first started reading it. A large sigh of relief escaped my lips when I discovered it to be a regular love story with an odd twist. I enjoyed this book a lot. I have always been fascinated by the idea of Bigfoot and the author heightened my curiosity by adding a hint of the Native Americans’ belief. Tara’s father, Charlie, adds a certain comedic flair to this book. His dedication to Bigfoot and not caring about public opinion won my heart. This is one story where you will laugh and sigh all in one reading." Kimberly, Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

“An Erotic Twist on the Classic Bigfoot Tale! Beauty & the Bigfoot is a thoroughly entertaining read on a classic legend, that I found enjoyable and sexy! Ms. Wilkins puts a twist on the bigfoot myth, that left me pleased with the ending. Beauty & the Bigfoot was a well thought out, erotic and downright fun read to the end! I loved Tara and her take on what is happening to her, and Joe is just a downright yummy male, even if he is a little hairy! If you are looking for a fun, erotic and entertaining read then Ms. Wilkins delivers.
Reviewed by Missy Brown – paranormalromance.org

More reviews and an excerpt are on my website: www.KelliWilkins.com
 
I hope you’ll check out the story and decide about Bigfoot for yourself!

Until next time,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment