Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Look Back at Kelli's Romances & A Look to the Future


Hi,

A near-death experience makes a person take a step back and evaluate life, accomplishments, and goals. (What have you done so far? What do you have left to do?)

It’s been said that “if you’re still alive, you have more to do.” So today I offer a brief look back at my AQP romances and a peek at what I’ll be doing in 2012.



A Most Unusual Princess




This was the first erotic romance I ever wrote, and with the exception of one scene, the entire first draft was completed in two days. This fantasy introduced readers to witty Princess Elara and her guard, Dalton. The characters were so interesting that I continued their romantic adventures in two sequels: Dalton’s Temptation and The Pauper Prince.



The Dark Lord




Set in an isolated Carpathian Mountain castle, Lord Adrik has a sinister reputation. I wrote this Gothic historical without an outline (which is unusual for me). This is one of my “original three” Amber Heat contest winning romances (along with A Most Unusual Princess and The Sexy Stranger).



The Sexy Stranger




This short and fun contemporary puts a different spin on hitchhikers and mistaken identities. I wanted to add some elements of danger, but without putting my characters into too much jeopardy. This story is a very condensed version of an idea I had for a full-length romance (which I might write one day).



Dalton’s Temptation




The sequel to A Most Unusual Princess. A few weeks after finishing Princess, the idea for this fantasy novel came to me. I wanted to explore the concepts of fidelity and cheating. Is it still cheating if you cheat with your own spouse? This novel introduced Elara’s brother, Prince Allan to readers. Halfway through writing this, I knew Allan needed his own book, so I wrote The Pauper Prince. (At that point, I dubbed the three books the “Royal Desires” trilogy.)



The Pauper Prince




After being banished from the royal family, pampered Prince Allan is forced to live like a commoner. The book is a bit violent and gritty and has a “medieval” feel to it. I enjoyed exploring the plot and setting of a darker fantasy novel for a change. However, one thing I dreaded was killing off a secondary character that Allan (and I) had fallen in love with. Elara and Dalton’s storyline is also wrapped up.



Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover




Inspired by the premise of “what if a vampire went to the beach and fell in love with a surfer?” I blended horror and romance into an ethereal paranormal. It’s different from my other romances because it’s written in first person from the hero’s point of view.






This hot historical (and Amber Heat bestseller), follows inexperienced newlyweds as they partake in naughty games at a Midsummer Ball. How did this erotic tale come about? One day, the entire first scene popped into my head. I thought the characters and premise were interesting, and I knew I had to write the rest of Annabelle & Julian’s story. I later wrote a sequel, A Midwinter Night’s Delights, that’s even hotter! 



Naughty Nobles




My first anthology! This is a paperback collection of three fantasy novellas (A Most Unusual Princess, The Dark Lord, A Midsummer Night’s Delights) never before in print. It’s a good overview of different storylines, writing styles, characters, settings, and heat levels. Three hot stories in one book – how can you beat that?



Beauty & the Bigfoot




Have you ever read a Bigfoot romance? This paranormal/comedy came about from the premise “what if a girl fell in love with Bigfoot?” I knew the story would have to be a comedy – because who could seriously believe a Bigfoot romance? I’m happy to say that readers loved the humor and wacky characters in the story, and it got great reviews!



Trust with Hearts




This book has a country setting and is more laid back then my other romances. Sherrie and Curtis have a whole summer to get to know about each other, fall in love, and discover a few secrets along the way. I wanted to explore another side of being famous and show that it’s sometimes not as glamorous as people think.



A Midwinter Night’s Delights




This hotter-than-hot sequel to A Midsummer Night’s Delights takes place six months after the first book. In this tale, Julian and Annabelle are sent back to Vincent’s estate – to be disciplined! Midwinter has a slightly darker tone than Midsummer, as our young newlyweds are taught self-control – or face Vincent’s erotic punishments.



A Perfect Match




A Perfect Match is a contemporary set in the world of professional wrestling. Wrestling has always been a part of my life, so it was only natural that one day I’d write a book with wrestling as the backdrop. A Perfect Match won several writing contests and was a top ten finalist in the first-ever “American Title” contest.



Four Days with Jack




This is my first Amber Allure gay romance. The story takes place at a tropical island resort and explores the budding relationship of best friends David and Jack. This novella received great reviews and was a May 2011 best-seller!



So what’s left to do?

·         In August 2012, my historical romance, The Witch & the Warrior is scheduled to be released by Medallion Press.

·         I’m halfway through rewriting a historical/mystery that takes place in Colonial Pennsylvania

·         I’ve got a rough draft of a western waiting to be revised

·         And four or five ideas for more short & spicy erotic novellas – some with m/f relationships, some m/m, and some where anything goes.

Will they all be written in 2012? I’m not sure, but I’m going to make the most of the time I have to write them!



Thanks to everyone who’s already following the blog & entered in the contest!!

Until next time,

Kelli A. Wilkins






No comments:

Post a Comment