Thursday, September 29, 2011

Kelli's Quill Newsletter - Special Sept/Oct Horror Issue







KELLI’S QUILL

The Official Newsletter of Author Kelli A. Wilkins

Special Sept./Oct. Horror Issue! (Vol. 4 Number 5)



Hi everyone!

Happy Autumn! This edition of Kelli’s Quill is devoted to my favorite holiday, Halloween! To celebrate, I’m doing a recap of my short horror fiction and my two Amber Quill Press paranormal romances, plus sharing a bit about how I write horror and romance. Enjoy!



READY TO GET SCARED? CHECK OUT KELLI’S SHORT HORROR FICTION:

Kelli’s flash fiction story, “Death is Just a Tick Away” appeared in the premiere issue of Dark Moon Digest’s e-magazine (Issue #1) this summer. The story is based on a real superstition! You can order a Kindle version here: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Moon-Digest-Magazine-ebook/dp/B005BSSL66/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_7


And a Nook version here:



In 2010, two of Kelli’s horror stories appeared in anthologies. “Whispers from the Past” was published in the July 2010 Pill Hill Press Haunted anthology. Set in a haunted house, “Whispers from the Past” blends the paranormal with a startling bit of reality. The anthology is available in paperback and electronic formats. Order it here: http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-An-Anthology-ebook/dp/B003VWCJ4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1279655717&sr=1-2



“The Ape” appeared in The Four Horsemen: An Anthology of Conquest, War, Famine & Death, published by Pill Hill Press. This anthology of twenty-five short stories was released in May 2010 and is based on The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. In “The Ape” a young boy in South Carolina uses an unusual “toy” as a tool for revenge. Order a copy here: http://www.amazon.com/Four-Horsemen-Anthology-Conquest-Famine/dp/0984261036/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273504039&sr=1-5



Kelli’s Halloween-themed tale, “Kropsy's Curse”, was published in the October 2003 issue of The Far Sector SFFH and is available in electronic format. This story proves that it’s not a good idea to fool with ouija boards in graveyards! Order a copy here: http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook17627.htm?cache


Set during a very unusual party, Kelli’s “Guest of Honor” appears in The Best of the First Line - The First Three Years anthology and was also featured in TFL on Tape (Episode 10) as an audio broadcast. The story begins with the line: “The party was only the beginning of what would happen tonight.” (The original issue date was Vol. 3 Issue 2 – March/April 2001.) Order a copy of the individual back issue here:
http://www.bluecubiclepress.com/store.htm


or get the full “Best of…” anthology here:



Sci-fi stories can also be a thrill! Kelli’s quirky “Not Your Ordinary Little Green Men” appeared
in the What If? Science Fiction Anthology. Get a copy here: http://www.amazon.com/What-If-Collection-Science-Fiction/dp/098224343X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_5


Want to read a real ghost story? Check out Kelli’s encounter with a ghost dog in Personal Stories of Departed Pets! The book link is: http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Stories-Departed-Haunted-Encounters/dp/097403942X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_11



LOVE MONSTERS? CHECK OUT KELLI’S PARANORMAL ROMANCES!

Kelli’s Amber Heat romance, Beauty & the Bigfoot, was released in August 2009. This quirky paranormal-comedy offers readers a delightfully unique look at the legend of Bigfoot. It is available in several electronic formats from Amber Quill Press. You can order it here: http://amberquill.com/AmberHeat/BeautyBigfoot.html


A vampire goes to the beach and falls in love… Confessions of a Vampire's Lover was released in December 2008. This contemporary paranormal romance received great reviews and is available in electronic formats.


Links broken? Go to Kelli’s website (www.KelliWilkins.com) to find them all. Or visit www.Amazon.com and search for Kelli A. Wilkins. All of Kelli’s books and short stories are included on her Amazon Central author page!


Q&A Here’s an excerpt from Kelli’s recent interview with Bookwenches. Want to read the whole thing? A link to the full interview is on the News page of Kelli’s site (www.KelliWilkins.com)

Q: Taking a peek at your website, I see that you have written several horror stories. Between horror and romance, does writing one come more naturally than the other? What inspires you to pick up the pen (or fire up the keyboard) to write a horror story?

A: I originally started out writing horror short stories, and then I alternated with romance. I think I have a good balance of writing in both genres. (One half of my brain does horror the other half does romance.) I generally get inspired for horror the same way I do for romance – an idea pops into my head, the story clicks, and off I go.

I was able to combine both worlds in my paranormal romance, Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover. It’s a romance, but it also has a gothic-horror feel. 

Sometimes after working on several romances I’ll switch and write a horror story. It allows me to change up my writing style, use different settings, and create characters you wouldn’t find in romance. My horror short stories are more psychological/spooky/creepy than gory, and I like to explore the darker aspects of a story and not always give the characters a happy ending (as I do in my romances).

Q: I recently read your story “Beauty and the Bigfoot” and thought it was a lot of fun. What inspired you to write a story about the Sasquatch and to give him the romantic lead role?
A: Beauty & the Bigfoot was inspired by a wacky idea that popped into my head: “What if a girl fell in love with a Sasquatch?” I’m not sure where the idea came from, but the more I thought about it, the more the story unfolded.

I knew that a romance about Bigfoot would have to be a comedy – nobody would buy into the idea of a “serious” love story about Bigfoot. From there, the idea, characters, and back story about the legend grew and morphed into the book. It’s sort of a modern take on Beauty and the Beast – with plenty of humor and drama to draw readers into Tara’s crazy world.

Q: Share with us one thing about yourself that we wouldn’t think to ask.
A: Even though I write horror stories, nobody ever asks me about the paranormal. One thing you probably wouldn’t think to ask: “Do you believe in ghosts and the supernatural?” The answer is definitely yes!

***

I hope you’ve enjoyed this newsletter. Feel free to forward it to friends and post it on various social media sites. Want to comment on something or have a question you’d like to see me answer? You can contact me via the “contact the author” form on the News page of my site.

Happy Halloween!

Kelli A. Wilkins


No comments:

Post a Comment