Friday, June 10, 2011

Kelli's Quill - The Newsletter - HOT May/June Issue




KELLI’S QUILL
The Official Newsletter of Author Kelli A. Wilkins
Hot May/June Issue (Vol. 4 Number 3)

Hi everyone! The weather is heating up – and so are my romances! This issue is filled with news about my romances, links to interviews, reviews, guest blogs, and more! Enjoy!

FOR READERS:

INTERVIEWS:
On June 6, Kelli’s interview appeared in the Central NJ newspaper, The Home News Tribune. The link is: http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011306050023

In April, Seriously Reviewed interviewed Kelli about her books. The link is:
http://seriouslyinterviewed.blogspot.com/2011/04/interview-with-kelli-wilkins-amber.htmlFallen Angel Reviews posted a new interview with Kelli. You can read the full interview here:http://www.fallenangelreviews.com/Interviews/2011/April-Tammy-KelliAWilkins.htm



Q&A with KELLI:
What readers want to know! Here’s an excerpt from a recent interview with Kelli:
Q: Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?A: I’m always multi-tasking. Although I can only write one book at a time, I constantly find myself adding something extra to my ‘to do’ list. I might be writing a book, promoting another book, blogging, Tweeting, and writing my newsletter all in the same week! I also write short horror fiction, so I’m toying with those storylines while thinking about other romances to write.
Q: What is your favorite thing about being a romance writer?A: My favorite thing about being a romance writer is that I get to create different characters, worlds, settings, relationships and romances, and then share them with readers. I enjoy writing the story – meeting the characters and following along on their adventures. It’s a very creative part of the writing process, and it’s a lot of fun.

I write in several romance genres (fantasy, historical, paranormal and contemporary), so I get to dream up very different characters, plots, and settings for my books. My fantasy romance, A Most Unusual Princess
is a lighthearted novella that introduces readers to a headstrong princess.

On the other hand, my paranormal, Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover is written in first person from the hero’s point of view.

FOR WRITERS:
What’s the purpose of your writing?
Writers are often asked if their work has a theme or a message. Remember back in high school when you were asked, “What’s the purpose of this story?” Well, now that you’re a writer, you get to decide what the purpose (message, or theme) is of your stories!

A good story doesn’t stop the flow of the narrative so characters can preach to readers, but your writing should have a purpose, a point, a theme. There should be something that the reader takes away from the story. Someone once said that before you start writing, you should figure out what – if anything – you want to say. Ask yourself, why are you writing this story? What’s the point? Will readers learn anything?

When I wrote my three non-fiction cat care guides (Cats, Quick & Easy Guide to Cat &Kitten Care, The Simple Guide to Cats), the two themes I kept focusing on were: responsible pet ownership for the life of the cat, and adopting from a shelter or rescue organization.

I also incorporated these themes into my romance, Trust with Hearts. I gave the heroine (Sherrie) a subplot of adopting out cats from a local shelter. This helped build her character (and gave her a sense of purpose) while delivering a message to the reader. (And while I’m on the subject, I’d like to remind everyone that June is “Adopt a Shelter Cat” month! See? Even this bit of writing has a theme!)

When you’re writing to convey a message, you need to get inside the characters and voice opposing viewpoints, show conflicting actions, etc. to flesh out the theme and make the characters believable. These may not be things you’re comfortable thinking, writing, or showing, but they will help your story. Remember, the antagonist who is trying to cut down a 500-year-old tree will act in ways that oppose (and offend) your tree-loving heroine!

The next time you read a story, ask yourself, “What is the writer saying?” You might just learn something!
***
I hope you enjoyed this issue of Kelli’s Quill. Feel free to pass it along to other readers and writers and share it with your friends.
Until next time!

Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment