Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Midwinter Night's Delights & other spicy sequels!


Greetings friends and faithful followers....

To celebrate the release of my erotic romance, A Midwinter Night’s Delights, I thought I’d talk about sequels. (For those of you who don’t know, A Midwinter Night’s Delights is the sequel to my 2008 fantasy novella A Midsummer Night’s Delights ).

Midwinter follows up on the main characters, Annabelle & Julian. In the last book, these young newlyweds were introduced to a world of sexual pleasure and fantasies before attending a very special Midsummer Ball. (If you haven’t read the first book, that’s okay – each story stands alone as an individual read. And yes, this book is just as hot – if not hotter – than the first book!)

In the sequel, we discover that Annabelle & Julian have taken what they have learned and gone a bit wild. Instead of being shy and repressed, they are more than eager to give in to their desires wherever the mood strikes. They are sent to Vincent’s estate to learn lessons in self-control and discipline. It was interesting to explore a different side to the games that take place at the estate house and watch how the characters reacted as they received their ‘punishments’ throughout the book.

When I wrote the first book, I deliberately left the ending open for a potential sequel. I had already written a trilogy of fantasy romances – the “Royal Desires” series featuring A Most Unusual Princess, Dalton’s Temptation , & The Pauper Prince, so I knew how characters could ‘run away’ with the story, or how certain characters or storylines need to be further explored.

The “Royal Desires” trilogy basically came about because I fell in love with the characters and wanted to continue exploring their lives, interactions, and find out what happened to them. Dalton’s Temptation, (the sequel to A Most Unusual Princess) lets the readers follow up on their lives and see what new trouble Princess Elara causes for Dalton. (Hint: Marriage never tamed her). When I wrote Dalton’s Temptation, I introduced readers to Prince Allan, and it wasn’t long before it became obvious that he needed his own book as well.

After the release of A Midsummer Night’s Delights, some readers asked for prequel – they wanted to know how the Marquis, Vincent, and his wife, Sabrina, met and what their history entailed. Although I have no plans to write a full prequel, I did give the readers what they wanted. In A Midwinter Night’s Delights, Sabrina tells Annabelle how she met Vincent and how they got involved in their naughty games.

So, will there be a third book? Maybe. There’s definitely potential for another chapter in the saga. Will Lono and Lobo (two new characters) unmask and have their own side-story? Perhaps. I haven’t thought about their backgrounds much, but it would be interesting to learn more about them.

I think sequels are popular with readers because they can follow along with characters they’ve known and come to love. They become invested in their trials and tribulations and want to follow along on their adventures.

As a writer, it’s great to revisit characters we’ve invented, and it is fun to write new stories while introducing new characters into the universe we’ve created. We also need to stretch our imaginations and make each story different – show another side to a favorite character, give the hero/heroine a challenge, or have them deal with something unexpected. I think that’s what keeps readers interested – never knowing exactly where the author will take them on their journey.

I welcome feedback about the book from readers and would like to know what you think. You can contact me via the "contact the author" form in the News section of my website.
Until next time,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment